1/16/2014

Singing WoC

Following my previous article on singing women of color, I decided to make it a point this year to make my music choices Afrocentric. I'm making an active decision to check out the music of the women of color snubbed by the media, the ones true to themselves and their people. I refuse to buy into the widely sold pseudo-empowering black women in pop (and rnb and hip hop) who's idea of emancipation is that of being bleached and playing into the sexual ideals of the industry. I won't be sexualized and fetichized over the images that they create and impose.

Instead, here is a list of artists to look out for:


Measha Brueggergosman [Opera/Classical]
Canada



Njena Reddd Foxxx [Rap/Hip hop]
U.S.A



Pink Oculus [MC-ing vocalist]
The Netherlands



Anita Tijoux [Rap/Hip Hop]
Chile/France



France/Mali



Adaku [RnB/Pop]
Nigeria



Esperanza Spalding [Jazz/Soul/Bossa Nova]
U.S.A



Akira (of Disacode) [Heavy Metal]
Japan



Brittany Howard (of Alabama Shakes) [Americana/Blues rock/Soul]
U.S.A





It's almost like race, gender, and looks have nothing to do with talent.


Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment